Household Benefit Package
To get the Household Benefits Package, you must:
- Be living in Ireland (full-time, all year round)
- Be the only person in your household getting the HBP
- Have the electricity or gas bill in your name (if you are applying for an Electricity or Gas Allowance)
- Be aged 70 or over
- Be aged under 70 and meet the additional rules for ‘People aged under 70’ set out below.
People aged under 70
If you aged under 70 and you are living with your spouse, cohabitant or civil partner, you can get the HBP if you are getting a qualifying social welfare payment and:
- You are getting an increase in your qualifying social welfare payment for them) or
- They are getting their own qualifying social welfare payment listed below or
- They are getting a social welfare payment and they satisfy a means test.
There are 2 allowances in the Household Benefits Package:
- Electricity Allowance of €35 monthly (€1.15 per day)
- Natural Gas Allowance of €35 monthly (€1.15 per day)
If you have an electricity and natural gas supply, you must choose between the Electricity Allowance and Gas Allowance. You can choose only one.
Once you qualify for the Household Benefits Package, you can get a Free Television (TV) Licence from your next TV Licence renewal date. To get your Free TV Licence, you must select the Television Licence option on the HBP form when you apply.
National Fuel Scheme
The weekly rate of payment is currently €33.00, usually payable from September to April.
People getting certain social welfare payments can get their Fuel Allowance paid in two lump sums. The first lump sum is normally paid in late September and the second payment is in January.
Only one Fuel Allowance is paid to each household.
Living Alone Allowance
Individuals aged over 66 years who receive social welfare pensions and live alone, may be entitled to a small supplementary payment (€7.70 per week).
Free travel is available to individuals aged over 66 years. The scheme has been extended to cover travel to Northern Ireland.
Many banks have offers specifically for individuals aged over 66 years. Some offers include free transaction fees, free maintenance fees. Check with your bank for more information.
Useful numbers and websites
Dept. of Social & Family Affairs 1890 500 000 www.welfare.ie
Age Action (01) 475 6989 www.ageaction.ie
Carer’s Association 1800 240 724 www.carersireland.com
Citizens Information 1890 777121 www.citizensinformation.ie
Energy Action (01) 454 5464 www.energyaction.ie
Back to Practical Help