Walking is an ideal exercise for Lung Fibrosis patients
The 2000 Steps a Day Challenge was specifically designed for Lung Fibrosis patients. This challenge aims to help you achieve your best level of fitness and wellbeing while considering your limitations and oxygen requirements. The 2000 Steps a Day Challenge was devised by Ms. Irene Byrne, Senior Physiotherapist with the Heart and Lung Transplant Unit at the Mater University Hospital Dublin and developed with ILFA.
The ILFA 2000 Steps a Day walking pack contains
- The 2000 Steps a Day leaflet that explains the benefits of walking for Lung Fibrosis patients and gives tips and advice on how to get started and stay safe. Click here to read the Get Moving with ILFA 2000 Steps a Day Challenge leaflet.
- An inspirational poem called “Promises to Yourself” by Christian D. Larson and a Contract for Success for you to sign and commit to the 2000 Steps a Day Challenge.
- A pedometer (step counter) to estimate the number of steps you take, the distance travelled (miles and kilometres) and the number of calories used when walking.
- A high visibility reflector vest to help keep you and your walking companion safe while out walking. The reflector vests have been kindly supplied to ILFA by the Road Safety Authority.
- An exercise diary to record your progress with the 2000 Steps a Day Challenge.
- An ILFA pen.
- A Donation card if you would like to make a donation to ILFA.
We hope that you will enjoy this exercise challenge and it will motivate you to incorporate an extra 2000 steps into your daily routine. We want you to use the programme to help kick start, improve and maintain your level of fitness.
How to order your 2000 Steps Walking Pack
Please contact ILFA to request your 2000 Steps a Day walking pack by writing to ILFA, PO Box 10456, Blackrock Co. Dublin via email email@example.com or by calling 086 871 5264.
All of ILFA’s resources are provided free of charge to lung fibrosis patients registered with ILFA and to healthcare professionals working in respiratory medicine.
The History of ILFA’s 2000 Steps a Day Walking Challenge
The 2000 Steps a Day Challenge was devised by Ms. Irene Byrne, Senior Physiotherapist with the Heart and Lung Transplant Unit at the Mater University Hospital Dublin and developed with ILFA. In 2014, ILFA’s 2000 Steps A Day Challenge won the Irish Healthcare Award for the Best Patient Organisation Project of the Year.
You can read more about ILFA’s award winning exercise initiative here.
Please note that the ILFA 2000 Steps a Day Challenge is the property of ILFA and cannot be copied or reproduced without permission. For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or
Back to Living Well
call 086 871 5264